Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sweet Little Pincushion Free Pattern & Tutorial


My early years were spent waking up under a quilt my great grandmother had made. I was fascinated with how worn it was at the top and what was underneath. It was so soft. I was drawn to all the little pieces of colorful fabric with the tiny prints. I guess I was a fabric geek even then. No one quilted in my family at that time but they did make clothes. I possessed a rudimentary understanding of  how they went together so I was curious about how that quilt was created. The fact that someone I was related to, but had never met, put that beautiful thing together created a mystery and a connection for me.

When I saw this free pincushion pattern it brought that memory rushing back to me.The flour bag fabrics and traditional pattern made me sentimental. I had not thought of the quilt that I had slept under for years.  Molly Flanders Makerie does an excellent job with the tutorial to walk even the least experienced through making this little gem. I took a peek at her other posts and her blog is definitely one worth following if you are a quilter or are interested in starting another fabric obsession.

Click here to access the tutorial.

 I am going to make this little pincushion to help me remember my sewing heritage. I was able to acquire quilts made by both my maternal great grandmothers and treasure them. I have the scraps of another that are waiting to discover how they are meant to be used. The quilt I slept under is gone. I think it was worn away by love and necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment