Monday, February 2, 2015

Modiste Has Been Bad, Very Bad: Color Theory Made Me Do it

I saw the picture of the fabric.  It sucked me in like a visual Tsunami pulling back out to sea. All common sense, all firm resolve, all monetary judgement just gone. What can I say? Thank goodness for monetary Christmas gifts? I didn't know my mother-in-law was such an enabler until I  thought of that check. I always suspected Marci Tilton was one you had to watch out for. Enough shock and awe. On to the good stuff.

I have a fascination with a mixture of cool icy blues and gold or earth tones. Maybe it is because my coloring doesn't allow for a lot of warm color without being asked if I need a ride to urgent care. Maybe it is living in the north and it symbolizes a tiny hope for warmth. More simply, it is my love of contrast and color. I am not normally a large print person, but I think, given the description, this can be pieced in a way to create a really interesting overall garment. The pattern changes near the selvedges. Did I mention it is a rayon knit? Think soft, drape and movement.



And then of course, that was so interesting, I had to go back and click on the next page because there could be something just waiting there even more interesting.

I have long had a love affair with the complementary color scheme. I like the visual bounce it produces in the brain. High interest. Envision it this way. Imagine you are looking at a color wheel. Look at two colors directly across from one another. It is like a visual tennis match. Your eyes won't rest on one much longer than the other. The brain likes complementary color schemes. They are interesting.



How could you expect me to resist this given that love affair? One of the reasons I loved the first Nike "Just Do It!" campaign was because of this color combination. Complementary color scheme, blue and orange and  IT IS A JAPANESE COTTON PRINT!!!!  That combination could drive me to some kind of Twelve Step Program if I really had a problem....

Now add a graphic print, little squares, squiggly lines, motifs, and a variety of shapes. It was sold before that temptress even put it up on the Internet. I am already placing them on a blouse in my brain for the most impact and small visual surprises.

I keep myself away from Internet fabric sites for just this reason. I have ordered some on line but haven't been quite satisfied when I received it. Now, reinforced with better graphics on my Ipad and confidence in Marci Tilton's level of taste, it either gave me the confidence or made me jump right into the old insanity pool to order fabric, in a shorter amount of time, than any Internet order I have ever placed.

1 comment:

  1. I love complementary color schemes, too, but then I love all colors pretty much. I'm so curious to see what you do with these fabrics!

    ReplyDelete