Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Season for Every Activity


These are not inspirational projects. They really aren't even good pieces of work but the idea is. Try something new or rediscover something. It changes the way you think about your other creative endeavors.

In a time long long ago I used to sew a lot and do a lot arts and crafts. I have lost track of that side of myself. Kind of  in line with that whole "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." (Ecclesiastes 3) Life has been full but things change. Change has always been my friend.

Time to get back to that compelling part of my brain. The local independent art supply store offered free art product demos during December. It is a smart idea. People walk in, an artist demonstrates products, people sit down and use the products for free to create something to take home. They then of course, like any creatively obsessed person, buy the products. What a great way to connect to those activities I enjoyed, meet nice people who are like minded, take a break from the holiday speed race and enjoy the big idea of the holiday.  

I learned a few things. Muscle memory has left the house. See that little "Joy" project. My brain would know exactly what to do then my hand would wander from its trajectory. 20 years ago I would have whipped that puppy out and it would have looked good. Fluidity of thought is maintained with practice. Keep up with new products and experiment with them. Projects are grown in layers. Try something, change it, add something. The artist reminded me of that one. When I get out of my "thinking" brain and into my "creating" brain I relax, time slows down a bit and I have to remind myself there is an end to a project. If I don't identify where my end is I can get a bit obsessed and frustrated. 

It was fun to revisit my design knowledge and color theory even if poorly executed. This was a fun way to celebrate the holidays. The practice and execution of technical skills is what communicates the essence of an idea. I realized instead of just focusing on sewing I need to focus on my creativity and the rest will come.

*****************

List of projects and products starting with "JOY" and going clockwise:
Versals - permanent fine pt marker, Twinkling Watercolors applied with water pen/brush
Pan Pastels - Pan Pastels applied with Sofft sponges/tools, mine is a really poor example of what these can do.
12" Round Canvas - covered with brush felt pens and poster pens
Paper Angel - patterned template colored with Pentel Slicci .8 gel pen - they flow and fill more consistently than any I have used
 Artist Trading Cards - misc. graphics and stickers or brush felt pens

No comments:

Post a Comment