Friday, May 23, 2014

Indianapolis Fabric Love



I love to visit Indianapolis!

I love the fabric stores in Indianapolis!

Which is one of the reasons I love to visit Indianapolis.

 Indianapolis is this sleeper of a city that isn’t commonly thought of as a destination. Until you visit. There are so many interesting things to do there. The downtown is one of the most vibrant moderate sized ones that I have visited and most accessible by walking. There are museums, sport venues, excellent dining, beautiful parks and this great canal the winds though the city with a walking path. It is also an easily drivable city if you Google where you want to go or use the GPS on your phone. Think lots of one way streets.

Now to the important stuff - 3 wonderful fabric stores.


There are 3 wonderful fabric stores in the city that are a must visit for the fabric obsessed. This is my third visit. Two of the stores I have been to each time. I discovered another hidden little gem last week that will be added to my priority list of things to do. One is right downtown and the others a short drive.


I found my kindred fabric spirit at Erin Young Designs.  Visiting with Erin Young and a pilgrimage to her store is now my priority first stop for our Indy trip each fall and spring. It is so fun to talk design ideas and fine construction techniques. I love to peek at her latest bridal creation and be tempted by her fabric acquisitions.  The entire staff is as engaged in this process as the fabric obsessed customer. Erin Young and her assistant are both formally trained in fashion design. They get all motivated about fabric, design and construction just like those of us who are fabric obsessed. After all, fabric acquisition is a whole experience for the fabric obsessed. It isn't simply bringing home a chunk of textile.

Erin Young's primary business is bridal and formal wear design. Like any fabric obsessed person she couldn't just stop there. Her store has a small selection of handpicked apparel fabric for their unique prints, fiber content, hand, drape, patterns, weaves and colors. They have been chosen because they are fascinating little treasures. Those little treasures immediately sent me into a creative muse imagining what their destiny should be. She has added enticing trims to the selection also. The best tactile experience this trip was her silk cashmere blend double sided cloth. I have never felt anything like it in my long textile life. She plans on a cape class this fall so she is adding some wonderful wools for that lucky crowd of people. She also has beautiful formal wear fabric sale.  I could easily have said, "One of each please." I think after a few visits I am coming close to that fulfillment of that idea. Unfortunately, despite the reasonable prices for the quality of fabric offered, even I have to be prudent at times,

She stocks a small selection of on trend independent patterns that are reliably drafted with high standards.  If you live in the area sign your child up for one of her sewing experiences for kids. Maybe you will find a group or class for yourself too. Regardless, stop in and say, "Hi!" for me and buy some fabric. I would hate to see it stay on the shelf. It needs a good home.

This is a hidden little gem of a store that you have to find. Literally. It is off in this cool little neighborhood. You will notice the bridal store first, then see the sign and still wonder about where to go. Enter the bridal  store and enjoy your stroll through those beautiful designs. Then proceed to the back of the store where all the cool creative stuff occurs. The fabric for sale is nestled back there with those that understand their potential.

 
When you think Crimson Tate think two words. FUN! INSPIRING!  Also, think about this folks. I don’t quilt. Crimson Tate is a quilt store. Their fabric is so unique and the store has such a good vibe that I just have to go there. I always find some cool fabric that I can use for clothing or accessories. My favorite fabrics to “pet” there are the Japanese cottons, Liberty of London, and their great graphic prints. They also encourage garment construction. They have samples made of their fabrics and a selection of patterns that will entice you. Their ribbon selection is equally intriguing along with their
notions and other little cool items they sell. The biggest appeal for me is the staff. They are always upbeat and encourage my enthusiasm. Here is the one of the biggest compliments I can think of in regards to this store. If I lived there I would probably take quilting classes because I so love the fabric and the store/staff. I would just want to be part of that energy.


The French Seam stocks “you have to touch me right now” fabric. Walk in the door of this elegant little shop and you will just itch to see what fabric you have to buy. This mom and daughter enterprise knows their fabric. They focus on high quality fabric for apparel sewing but also offer a wall of beautiful quilt fabric. A large portion of that can be adapted for apparel also. They feature a variety of top and dress weight prints and solids that will not find be found elsewhere. They remember to include the ever elusive selection of bottom weight fabrics in a variety of textures, colors and fiber contents that is often overlooked in other stores. Their selection of prints, dress and top weight fabric will tease and torment you. Not only are they visually appealing but their hand and drape is remarkable. They are my most likely to be petted fabric in the French Seam. They have a large selection of on trend patterns from independent pattern companies plus Vogue and KWIK Sew. Their button selection is comprised of those intriguing ones that always seem to be housed in the clear cylinder tubes.  Those little things just scream for me to peruse and purchase. Buttons make or break a custom garment. These will only put the finishing touches on one.

Talk about serendipity, their anniversary sale is the same weekend in the spring my husband and I visit Indy. His reaction? “Oh swell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment