Thursday, October 30, 2014

Alabama Chanin New Book with Nod to the Past

Love the Skill, Love the Look, Love the Values



What makes a person interesting for you?  I find myself asking this as I am excited to learn Natalie  is releasing another book, Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns.  I wanted to tell all of you about this. Then I asked myself, “Why her?” Why do I sit up and take notice when I see her name or designs? I like following her. I like her strong independence. I like finding out what she is up to. I want to find out what she is thinking. My interest lies in her past success, her departure from her own brand, but mostly what she did with that challenge.  I like that she is someone who has incredible inherent talent with textiles but wants to pass her convictions, skills and design insight on to others. Her ego doesn’t make her want to be exclusive but inclusive.  She seems to operate from a platform of “do no harm” and help people flourish.
Chanin of Alabama Chanin,

Unlike almost every other designer, when she sought success, she left New York to return home to rural Alabama. She departed from her original Project Alabama in a commitment to her community and the local workforce.  She pursued her designs with the intent to resurrect the community she came from. Her goals were to go home to not only design her success but redesign the local economy.  She wanted to bring jobs and traffic to her little corner of the world. She wanted people to understand the talent that should be revealed and enjoyed in that little corner of the world. Her sense of hospitality and business acumen invited her customers and admirers to experience the joy of southern community, food and talent.

Her series of books seem to be the reflection of her philosophy and they pave the way for the connoisseurs of her little corner of the world’s hospitality and rich heritage. Visit her journal to find out how she has engineered that road.

I have even purchased her Crafty class because it might actually get me to go beyond wistfully reading her books and pondering what I could do with her techniques and ideas.  

Of course, it all started with the fabric for me. I find her designs fascinating. I love the use of pattern and color contrast.

However, that commitment to others, creative problem solving, resiliency and unapologetic commitment to live life as she has defined makes me want to sit down over a glass of sweet tea for a chat about anything and everything. Just to find out how she thinks.

She epitomizes the saying, “When you get to the top throw a ladder down for someone else.”

For a little more insight and some fascinating textile ideas visit:



No comments:

Post a Comment